Prayer Concerns for the Week of December 2, 2013
Democratic Republic of Congo
· Please keep close in prayer children, youth, and adults in the eastern part of the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) whose community was attacked in early November, allegedly by M23 rebel forces. Pray for displaced families who don’t have access to medical care, food, or shelter. Pray for those whose homes were destroyed in the heavy shelling. http://tinyurl.com/kxe86qq
· Give God thanks for the recent announcement by M23 rebels that they will end their 20-month-long rebellion against the government of the DRC. Please pray this group will follow through with their commitment to disarm troops and seek a political solution to the conflict. Pray the DRC army will stop their assaults against M23 forces and negotiate a peace agreement with them. http://tinyurl.com/kfpt9t5
· Pray for children recruited by both government and M23 rebel forces. Pray for boys who were hired to be porters by M23 rebels in Rwandan territory. Most ended up fighting or escorting commanders.
· Pray for peace in the eastern part of the DRC, an area that has suffered violence for the past 15 years as a multitude of armed groups compete for the region’s gold, copper, and cobalt. Pray for children who have been displaced by these years of conflict and unrest.
Syria, Afghanistan, Chad, the Democratic Republic of Congo, Somalia, Sudan, South Sudan, Yemen, Mali, Colombia, the Philippines, Burma, Iraq, and the Central African Republic
· Please pray for children who are recruited to fight in armed conflicts in Syria, Afghanistan, Chad, the Democratic Republic of Congo, Somalia, Sudan, South Sudan, Yemen, Mali, Colombia, the Philippines, Burma, Iraq, and the Central African Republic. Pray for boys and girls who have been injured or raped in these conflicts. Pray for those who have seen family members killed or wounded. http://tinyurl.com/leyxzaw
· Keep close in prayer the children of Syria who have been recruited to fight in the country’s civil war by both government and rebel troops. Pray for those who have been tortured because of their association with opposing forces. Please pray for boys who have been sexually assaulted in order to obtain information or confessions. Pray for those who have endured the same forms of torture as adult prisoners.
· Please keep in prayer children who are recruited for combat as well as support roles in Syria’s armed opposition groups. Pray for those who transport food and water and load cartridges. Pray for children who are recruited by relatives or who join after losing all of their family members. http://
· Keep in prayer children and families affected by powerful storms and at least 16 tornadoes that touched down in parts of Illinois, Indiana, and ten other states. http://tinyurl.com/lt9z4jx
o Please pray for those in Washington, Illinois where a huge tornado destroyed hundreds of homes and flattened entire neighborhoods. The EF-4 rated tornado cut a path one eighth of a mile wide from one side of town to the other. Pray for children, youth, and adults injured by flying debris from the tornado. Give God thanks for all those who survived what seemed unsurvivable…who climbed out of demolished homes with minor injuries. http://tinyurl.com/lhoulxj
o Pray for the loved ones of those killed in these powerful storms that swept across Michigan, Iowa, Illinois, Missouri, Indiana, Ohio, Kentucky, Tennessee, West Virginia, Pennsylvania, and New York. http://tinyurl.com/k4oqqt3read more
How many shopping days until Christmas? It’s so easy to get sucked into the holiday hype and lose sight of the real meaning of what Christmas is truly about—the birth of Jesus Christ when “the Word became human (flesh) and dwelt among us,” John 1:14a.
Here’s a way to engage children in your church, class, or family in counting down the days until Christmas in a way that keeps the focus on Jesus and the reason He came. Wycliffe Bible Translators created Christmas Countdown: The Word Became Human. Designed for ages 5-12, each lesson includes a Bible reading from the Christmas narrative (Luke), a short story of Bible translation around the world, prayer, and an ongoing craft activity.
When you sign up for these free lessons, you can choose one of the following three options that matches your setting:
- Families: 25 stories, one emailed each day from December 1–25
- Christian schools: 15 stories, 5 emailed each Friday to use during the three weeks of school in December
- Churches: 5 stories, one emailed each Friday to use on the weekends leading up to Christmas
After signing up, you’ll receive an introductory email with a link to a PDF document. It contains lesson preparation suggestions as well as ornament templates to print out for the craft activity. Children decorate the ornaments to reflect each day’s translation story. Here’s a sample ornament for December 18th’s Bible translation story—the Urbed people receive Bible story recordings via cell phone. One enrichment idea is to use Scripture Earth to see and listen to some of the languages highlighted in the translation stories.
You’ll begin receiving the lessons on November 29, just in time for advent. Help children celebrate Christmas and share the excitement of people’s receiving Scripture in their language for the very first time!
Prayer Concerns for the week of November 25, 2013
Burma (Free Burma Rangers – http://www.freeburmarangers.
· Pray for the Kachin ethnic hill tribe people of Northern Burma who have endured torture, forced imprisonment, attacks on their villages, rape, forced labor, and the deaths of loved ones, including the killing of children when their villages were shelled by the Burma Army.
· Please keep close in prayer the 1,284 Kachin people who fled Burma Army attacks in October. Pray God will protect and provide for the children, youth, and adults of this vulnerable ethnic group who are now in hiding and lack access to food, medical care, and shelter. http://tinyurl.com/mkdhx9j
· Pray for the 300 students at the Nam Lim Pa IDP (internally displaced people) school compound in Kachin State who were held and threatened by Burma Army soldiers on November 16. Pray for the 2,000 children, women, and men who fled Nam Lim Pa village and IDP camp later that night when the Burma Army attacked. Please keep these vulnerable people in prayer—half of the group was sent to another village, but the other 1,000 are still hiding in the jungle. http://tinyurl.com/lgt2mfr
· Pray God will provide for the four children and wife of Maraw Brang Na who was killed by Burma Army soldiers on November 14. Pray for God’s comfort and peace for his loved ones who are at an IDP camp in Bhamo now.
· Please pray for peace in Burma. Pray for a change of heart in those who hold positions of authority in Burma’s government and military.
· Please continue in prayer for the children, youth, and adults affected by Typhoon Haiyan, one of the largest ever recorded. Pray for those on isolated islands who haven’t been reached yet after the typhoon devastated the central part of the Philippines. http://tinyurl.com/k8gd65w http://tinyurl.com/knxee9k
· Pray for the estimated four million people who have been displaced by this massive disaster. Please pray God will provide for children and families who don’t have access to clean water, food, medical care, or shelter. Pray the humanitarian aid coordination problems, the logistics, and the bottlenecks will be resolved soon.
· Pray for the most vulnerable and at-risk children in this disaster. Pray God will protect these children from anyone who might take advantage of the chaos and confusion to traffick or abuse them.
· Please keep in prayer the loved ones and friends of the more than 3,900 people killed in Typhoon Haiyan. Pray for those in communities where bodies decompose amidst the rubble because there aren’t enough body bags or trucks or people to remove them.
· Pray for the people of Tacloban, a city of 220,000 that was devastated by Typhoon Haiyan. An estimated 90% to 95% of the city was damaged with few buildings still standing and no electricity or communications. Pray for children and families in this regional capital who are without food or water. Pray for those in neighborhoods that are cut off by debris. http://tinyurl.com/k8394cc
· Please keep close in prayer an 11-year-old boy who had been handcuffed to the porch of his foster parents’ home. The boy was handcuffed to the porch rail by his ankle and a dead chicken had been tied around his neck. Give thanks to God this child was found by a deputy sheriff and removed, along with four other adopted children (ages 14, 13, 9, and 8), from his foster parents’ care. http://tinyurl.com/n4km4vs Pray all of these children will be safe now they are in the custody of social services in another county. Please pray God will bring healing and peace to the little boy and his foster siblings.
· Pray God will be at work in the hearts of the foster parents who have been accused of intentional child abuse inflicting serious injury and false imprisonment. One of the parents is an emergency room nurse and the other works as a county social services supervisor.
· Please pray for the safety and health of all children in foster care. Pray they will experience God’s love through the love and care given them by those involved in the child welfare system.
· Pray all those desiring to foster children will enter into the commitment with the proper intentions and skills to care for children who have experienced great loss or trauma in their lives.read more
Prayer Concerns for the Week of November 18, 2013
· Please pray for the estimated 150,000 children and people of Mauritania who are held captive in a centuries-old, traditionally-accepted practice of chattel slavery, where adult slaves and their children are the property of their masters. Mauritania takes the dubious honor of first place in a new slavery index that ranks countries according to the occurrence of slavery, child marriage, and trafficking. http://tinyurl.com/l6ek7n9
· Pray this culturally-embedded tradition of using, buying, selling, renting out, and giving slaves away as gifts will cease. Pray the laws abolishing slavery and trafficking will be upheld and enforced. Pray for freedom and justice for all children and adults enslaved in this country.
· Please keep in prayer those who work to abolish slavery in Mauritania. Pray for their safety as many human rights defenders and their supporters have been arrested by police.
· Keep in prayer 18-year-old Noura Mint Aheimed who escaped from slavery after suffering 14 years of exploitation, maltreatment, and lack education allegedly at the hands of her masters. Pray for justice for this brave young woman who has become a symbol for the anti-slavery movement in Mauritania.
· Keep close in prayer the children and people of the Philippines as they cope with the devastation wrought by Typhoon Haiyan on November 8, 2013. Pray for the estimated 9.5 million people affected by this super-typhoon that hit the central part of the Philippines. Haiyan was one of the most powerful typhoons in recorded history. http://tinyurl.com/klw4x5z http://tinyurl.com/kla6xnk http://tinyurl.com/pkeyk5f http://tinyurl.com/q5wsr2c
· Pray for the estimated 660,000 people who have been displaced and lack access to food, clean water, or medical care. Pray humanitarian aid will reach everyone in great need, especially the most vulnerable. Pray for the 2.5 million people in need of food because of this disaster.
· Pray for those in remote areas who’ve been affected by Typhoon Haiyan. Please pray for survivors in communities like Tacloban (the coastal capital of Leyte province) where 10,000 are feared dead; Guiuan a city of 40,000 people that was almost totally devastated; Basey (a seaside town in Samar province) where 2,000 people are missing; and for survivors in the hundreds of other towns and villages that were in Haiyan’s path.
· Please pray communications, highways, airports, power lines, and other infrastructure can be repaired or restored quickly to allow aid to reach devastated communities. Pray for the safe transport of supplies and personnel in areas where looters have attacked trucks of food and relief supplies. Pray the supplies reach everyone in need and aren’t siphoned off by corrupt officials.
· Give thanks to God for the international support flowing into the Philippines from more than 20 other countries.
· Pray for children and families grieving the loss of loved ones, friends, homes, and communities. Whole towns have been reduced to rubble by Haiyan’s high winds, drenching rains, and massive storm surges. Please pray God’s peace will sustain those who are grieving and heal the visible and invisible wounds from this trauma.
Prayer Concerns for the week of November 11, 2013
· Keep in prayer the thousands of Guatemalan babies and children who have been snatched from their parents and trafficked into pornography, prostitution, illegal adoptions, or organ donation. http://tinyurl.com/jwunkcs
· Please pray the recent spate of abductions of babies from hospitals in Guatemala will stop. Pray for increased security and a thorough vetting of hospital staff. Pray those working in hospitals will protect newborns and their mothers and not fall prey to traffickers’ bribes.
· Pray for new mothers whose babies have been stolen from them while in the hospital. Mothers are given sleeping pills or told their babies have died and then the newborns are taken and sold to traffickers.
· Please pray government and law enforcement officials will develop and enforce anti-trafficking laws. Widespread corruption, weak government leadership, minimal consequences for lawbreakers, and borders that aren’t well patrolled and easily breached contribute to the high rate of child trafficking in Guatemala.
· Pray for the estimated four million people who are experiencing food insecurity in rural areas of Madagascar because of poor harvests due to erratic weather and locust infestations. http://tinyurl.com/mvykcex
· Pray God will provide children in these rural areas with everything they need to thrive and grow. Pray for their parents and caregivers who have had to make difficult decisions… who’ve had to choose poorer quality, less expensive foods as well as reduce food rations for their families.
· Thanks be to God for the work of the World Food Programme (WFP) and the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) in providing food assistance for the most vulnerable people including children.
· Pray the community infrastructure work improving irrigation canals, dams, and water catchment systems through food-for-work and cash-for-work programs will provide at-risk households with the assets they need to make it through the lean seasons. Pray these programs will help communities diversify their income-generating activities, manage their water sources more efficiently, raise short-cycle crops adapted to the climate, and increase the production of staple crops like rice, maize, and tubers.
· Give God thanks for the three-year locust control program being implemented by the government. Pray this program will prevent crop destruction next year.
· Please continue to keep the children and people of Syria close in prayer as the two-and-a-half-year long civil war rages and malnutrition and disease threaten millions. http://tinyurl.com/mtgq7ck
· Pray for the 9.3 million people, approximately 40 percent of the population in Syria, who are in need of humanitarian assistance. Millions of people haven’t received any aid in almost a year because of ongoing violence and excessive red tape. Pray for children and families who are being slowly starved as they cannot leave their homes because of snipers or checkpoints. http://tinyurl.com/nxbabdw
· Pray for the 6.5 million children and families who are displaced from their homes within Syria as winter advances. Please pray those in need will find suitable shelter that is safe and out of harm’s way.
· Pray for 22 children who have been left paralyzed by what medical authorities believe is an outbreak of polio. Ten cases have been confirmed in a Syrian province that borders Iraq. Please pray the spread of polio and other debilitating diseases like measles, hepatitis, scarlet fever, and leishmaniasis will be stopped. Pray children in need of medical care will have access to it soon. Pray the emergency vaccination program for 500,000 children will be carried out as promised by the Syrian government. http://tinyurl.com/39yrzzt http://tinyurl.com/kf3d4pk
· Pray for the safe passage of medical personnel and supplies as well as the safe delivery of humanitarian assistance to those in need. Please pray for peace in Syria.
· Please keep 3-year-old Michaela held close in prayer as she grieves the death of her twin sister Laurynn. Both girls were pushed down an embankment by their step-grandmother—Laurynn died the following day from head injuries sustained in the fall. Michaela and Laurynn were moved from a foster home into their grandfather’s care on the Spirit Lake Dakota Nation reservation despite the fact his wife had a history of arrests for child abuse.
· Pray for this step-grandmother who was recently sentenced to 30 years in prison for causing Laurynn’s death. http://tinyurl.com/mt8jnheread more
Prayer Concerns for the week of November 4, 2013
· Give God thanks that the 22 orphaned children and the staff of the No Place Like Home (NPLH) orphanage in Port Au Prince, Haiti are safe for now. Thugs with counterfeit land titles (and the support of alleged corrupt government officials and judges) were trying to take over the land on which the orphanage sits and have made threats against the staff and children. http://tinyurl.com/lu486fg
· Please pray for the safety of the children and staff at NPLH. Continue to pray for a hedge of protection from the evil that threatens to displace them from this safe home.
· Pray God will provide Jacque and Marie, the rightful property and orphanage owners, a way through this difficult and dangerous situation. Give thanks to God for the outpouring of support from the international community for Jacque, Marie, their staff, and the children.
· Please pray the hearts of those with the authority to help the children in this orphanage will soften towards them.
· Pray for the network of people threatening to kidnap the children or harm the staff at NPLH. Pray God will be at work cleansing the evil from their hearts and minds.
· Keep close in prayer the survivors of a boat that capsized off the southern Italian island of Lampedusa on October 3, 2013. Pray for the estimated 200 African migrants (from Eritrea, Ghana, and Somalia) who were rescued when the boat they were on caught fire and overturned. Pray for the loved ones of the more than 300 children and adults who drowned in this disaster. http://tinyurl.com/pv7aqyk http://tinyurl.com/mt5yetx
· Pray for the survivors of another shipwreck on October 11, 2013. Pray for the loved ones of the dozens of migrants killed when their boat capsized between Tunisia and Sicily. http://tinyurl.com/m4dtqx6
· Pray for migrant children from sub-Saharan Africa and those fleeing violence in Syria, Egypt, and other areas of North Africa. Pray for the thousands of those who seek a better life in the European Union and risk their lives to cross from Tunisia to Italy in overcrowded, flimsy smugglers’ boats. http://tinyurl.com/kdltmk7
· Please keep the estimated 3 million children and people of Bohol and Cebu provinces in central Philippines close in prayer as they deal with the aftereffects of a powerful 7.2 magnitude earthquake that struck October 15, 2013.
· Pray God will bring comfort to the families and friends of the 215 people killed. Pray for the hundreds of people injured in the quake and the 840 aftershocks. http://tinyurl.com/my8l2ex http://tinyurl.com/m227vs8
· Please pray for the more than 350,000 children and people who have been displaced by the quake and are still living in evacuation centers or with relatives. Pray for those who do not have access to safe shelter… whose homes have been destroyed by the quake or aftershocks. http://tinyurl.com/ltx7fl7
· Keep in prayer children and families who have lost everything—homes, schools, churches, livelihoods—in the quake. Pray God will provide for their immediate and long-term needs.
Prayer Concerns for the week of October 28, 2013
· Please keep the children and people of New South Wales, Australia close in prayer as they deal with huge bushfires in the greater Sydney area, the Blue Mountains, and the Hunter valley. Pray for those who have lost homes and livelihoods in the 58 fires burning in this region. http://tinyurl.com/kz7ggqt http://tinyurl.com/6lv34e
· Pray for children whose schools and daycare centers have been closed because of the dangerous threat the fires pose. Pray for children and families who have yet to evacuate in regions threatened by the bushfires.
· Please pray for the safety of the hundreds and hundreds of firefighters working to contain and extinguish these massive fires. http://tinyurl.com/kbvtrvf http://tinyurl.com/l2mvp9m http://tinyurl.com/kcd5e3y
· Please lift in prayer the 38,000 girls who are sold into marriage every day in what UNICEF calls “the most prevalent form of sexual abuse and exploitation of girls.” Pray for girls who are married off or sold to much older men, leaving child brides to be subjects, not partners, of their husbands. Pray for girl children who experience marital rape in unions where they have no power or control. http://tinyurl.com/kflcxco
· Please keep in prayer the thousands of girls from Egypt’s poor rural communities who are trafficked into child sex tourism under the guise of temporary “marriages.” In an effort to get around Islamic rules against pre-marital sex, underage girls are sold by their parents into these temporary “marriages” to wealthy men visiting from Gulf countries. Pray for those whose “marriages” last a couple of days or weeks…some girls have been “married” 60 times by the time they are 18 years old.
· Pray for the children and families of Pakistan’s Christian community who were affected by the Sunday morning, September 22 attack on All Saints Church in Peshawar. Pray for the family and friends of the 85 people killed in the suicide bombing…many were children attending Sunday school. http://tinyurl.com/l4xl78r
· Please keep in prayer the estimated 120 injured in the attack, what church leaders call the deadliest attack on Christians in the country’s 66-year history.
· Pray for 14-year-old Shaloom Nazir who lost his mother, father, sister, brother, and uncle in the bombing. Please pray God will bring him comfort and surround him with a community of love and support.
· Give thanks to God for the outpouring of support for some victims by their Muslim neighbors. Pray for harmony between the minority Christian population and the majority Muslim population.
· Pray Christians, who make up only 1 to 2 percent of Pakistan’s population, will be protected from violent acts like this by Islamist militants. http://tinyurl.com/mvbdxsf
· Give God thanks for 11-year-old Jordan Peterson’s return home to North Dakota following nearly a year spent in Houston where he had a double-lung transplant. Thanks be to God for the success of Jordan’s transplant surgery…he has been cleared by doctors to play hockey again. http://tinyurl.com/npbv2q2
· Give thanks to God that 17-year-old Teresa* has managed to overcome her difficult home situation so far and is doing well in her senior year of high school. Continue to pray God will protect her from the high risk environment in her biological mother’s home. Teresa’s mother frequently spent her time drinking with men in her apartment, exposing her teenage daughter to harmful situations. Thanks be to God for Teresa’s recent acceptance into a university where she plans to study forensic science. She is the first in her immediate family to attend college.read more
Prayer Concerns for the Week of October 21, 2013
· Continue to pray for peace between two ethnic groups in Burma’s northwestern Rakhine (formerly Arakan) State. Animosity between Buddhist Rakhine and Muslim Rohingya goes back many years to when the Rohingya first came to Burma from Bangladesh. Last year’s violence between these two ethnic groups left 140,000 homeless, mostly Rohingya, and at least 192 dead. Pray for reconciliation and understanding between these two ethnic people groups. http://tinyurl.com/qxemydo http://tinyurl.com/m6gq8qg
· Pray for children and families affected by the recent sectarian violence in Rakhine State. Pray for those whose homes were set on fire by Buddhist gangs that attacked three villages earlier this month. Pray for both Buddhist and Muslim villagers who were injured in the violence sparked by tension between the two ethnic groups.
· Please keep the children and people of eastern India close in prayer as they deal with the aftereffects of Cyclone Phailin, the most powerful storm to hit India’s coast in 14 years. Pray for the estimated 12 million people who have lost homes and livelihoods in Odisha and Andhra Pradesh states because of this monster storm. Pray for those who have lost loved ones in the storm. http://tinyurl.com/lefp3k2
· Give thanks to God for the preparedness of the regions’ disaster management departments. Emergency response teams and supplies were pre-positioned ahead of the storm and close to a million people were evacuated to cyclone shelters along the coast. Thanks be to God for this successful evacuation and the thousands of lives saved because of this preparedness. http://tinyurl.com/myyz3sr http://tinyurl.com/lxvqc55
· Pray for the quarter of a million people who will have to remain in overcrowded cyclone shelters until it is safe to return to their home communities. Please pray children and families will be able to access basic emergency relief items at these shelters.
· Pray for children and families who have no homes to which they may return. Pray for those who have lost crops, livestock, fishing boats, and/or nets. Many of those affected are from poor farming communities or fishing villages and have nothing upon which to fall back.
· Please continue to pray for the children and people of Syria as the civil conflict persists. Pray for the 4.25 million people who have been forced from their homes because of the violence. Most of the homeless are women, children, and the elderly. Pray God will provide for the 1 million children who are now refugees.
· Pray for the 200,000 people who have been displaced within Syria and the 2 million who have fled the country. Pray for children living in overcrowded internally displaced people (IDP) camps and centers where clean water, electricity, and sanitation are limited, if not absent. http://tinyurl.com/mswb2pw
· Pray for the 2 million children who have dropped out of class because their schools have been destroyed in the conflict. More than 3,000 schools have been destroyed and a thousand others are used to house displaced people.
· Please keep 17-year-old Nate close in prayer. Pray God will bring healing to this hurting high school student who told a close friend he was going to attempt suicide. Give God thanks for the concern and compassion of this friend who gathered other friends, contacted responsible adults, and started searching for Nate. Nate was trying to commit suicide using the exhaust from his truck, but thanks be to God the truck wouldn’t start.
· And thank God for the friend’s parents who were able to counsel Nate and his rescuers, as well as contact police who took Nate to a local hospital.
· Pray Nate will receive the professional help he so desperately needs. Pray he will be protected from alleged further abuse by his father. Hold Nate close in prayer and ask God to comfort him and give him peace.read more
Prayer Concerns for the week of October 14, 2013
· Please pray for West African children with disabilities as they face widespread discrimination, abuse, and violence. Pray for those who are at risk of being victims of sacrificial killings or infanticide because of their disabilities. Children with disabilities are often perceived in their communities as “supernatural,” “bizarre,” or “demons” and are extremely vulnerable to abuse. http://tinyurl.com/mwm63zh
· Keep close in prayer disabled girl children. Pray for girls who are not “marriage material” due to their disabilities. Pray for those who are devalued and exposed to physical or sexual abuse because of their disabilities.
· Please pray for children with albinism, a congenital disorder caused by lack of pigment in their skin, hair, and eyes. Pray for those who are at risk of infanticide or of having their body parts cut off for ritual sacrifices. Children with albinism are often perceived to have special powers and are used in ritual sacrifices.
· Pray all children with disabilities will be valued as children of God and not be feared or used. Pray they will be able to receive an inclusive education and be allowed to thrive in community life.
· Pray for the nearly 200,000 children and people of southwestern Pakistan who have been affected by two major earthquakes in nine days. A 7.7 magnitude earthquake struck Baluchistan province September 24 and a 7.2 magnitude one hit on September 28, killing an estimated 515 people. http://tinyurl.com/k3zeuv4
· Pray for the survivors of these two massive quakes as aid agencies struggle to reach them in this remote, unstable province. Baluchistan, bordering Afghanistan and Iran, has a wealth of mineral deposits, but rebels in the region have been fighting the Pakistani government for independence and control of these riches. Pray for a truce between separatist rebel groups and the army so humanitarian aid groups may reach survivors soon.
· Please pray for children and families living amidst the rubble of their ruined mud-and-brick homes. Pray for those who lack tents to shelter them from the heat in this hot climate. Pray for children who lack access to safe drinking water—the main source of water came from hand pumps, many of which were damaged in the quakes.
· Pray God will provide food, clean water, shelter, and medical care for children and families affected by these earthquakes. Pray humanitarian aid will reach them quickly. Pray for the safety of aid workers trying to reach survivors. The only way into Baluchistan province is by rough roads that go through mountains controlled by the separatist rebels. http://tinyurl.com/m5mekdo
· Pray for God to be close to those in the the Indian states of Andhra Pradesh and Odisha following a massive cyclone that has affected 9 million people. The massive storm damaged or destroyed more than 800,000 homes, wiping out entire slum areas and devastating villages of mud and straw huts. Many of these people rely on agriculture for their livelihood. So far 1 million acres of rice have been destroyed.
· Pray for protection as heavy winds and rains continue to batter India and Nepal. Pray for clear paths for residents to return to their villages and relief workers to help them. Pray for good health and safety as evacuees hold close quarters in relief camps. Pray for God’s guidance and wisdom for government officials and for missionaries as they reach out to those affected.
· Please keep in prayer the family of 8-year-old Lily Simon who died from her injuries after being hit by a truck. Pray God will provide comfort for Lily’s parents and extended family during this difficult time.
· Pray for 15-year-old Lane and his 10-year-old brother Blake as they grieve the death of their father, Deputy Billy Kennedy, who was shot and killed in the line of duty on October 2, 2013. Pray for the boys’ mother Jodie, extended family, and community members as they all process this tragic death. Pray Lane, Blake, and Jodie will be surrounded by a community of support and love. http://tinyurl.com/kvagtew http://tinyurl.com/mgmxy7kread more
Prayer Concerns for the Week of October 7, 2013
· Please continue to keep Nancy* held close in prayer as she is still experiencing severe stomach pain. Pray for God’s healing touch to be upon this young woman who helps care for orphaned and abused children in Burma. Pray for Nancy’s parents and siblings who also help care for these children in their own home, called Hallelujah Orphanage.
· Please pray for the 11 children in their care—pray God will fulfill their deepest needs and desires. Most of the children come from backgrounds of abuse, neglect, or abandonment.
· Give God thanks Nancy, her family, and the children at Hallelujah Orphanage are safe from the floodwaters throughout their community. Pray for the loved ones of those killed in the floods in this part of Burma.
*Name changed for confidentiality and/or protection.
Central African Republic
· Pray for the children of Central African Republic (CAR) where 3.2 million people lack access to healthcare following the March 2013 coup. The U.N. Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs reports that CAR’s healthcare system has almost completely failed. http://tinyurl.com/ljqmy2t
· Pray for children who don’t have access to medical or health care because of widespread violence and looting that followed the government’s overthrow. Please pray God will provide for children who don’t have any medical care available to them. Medical supplies, equipment, ambulances, and doctors are in extremely short supply now.
· Pray humanitarian aid will reach children in need quickly. Pray for the safety of staff and volunteers of non-governmental organizations (NGOs) attempting to serve the children and people of CAR. Aid workers have been killed by rebels and aid bases have been ransacked or destroyed in the violence following the coup.
· Please keep close in prayer girl children married off to older men. Pray for the 38,000 girls who are sold into marriage every day in the developing world…that’s 14 million every year. http://tinyurl.com/o3lw94b
· Pray for child brides whose bodies haven’t matured enough to survive pregnancy or childbirth. In the developing world, death from pregnancy or childbirth is the number one killer of girls ages 15 to 19. http://tinyurl.com/o3lw94b
· Pray for girls who are denied education and freedom when they are sold into marriage. Pray for those who experience domestic violence from older husbands or the husbands’ families. Pray for child brides who experience sexual abuse in their marriages.
· Please pray for girls who are at great risk of being sold into marriage because they live in countries facing severe humanitarian crises including conflict or natural disasters.
· Pray for girls who are at risk of being forced into marriage because of their families’ desperate situations. Pray for those whose families marry them off at young ages to save on the costs of raising them or because they want to earn money from the dowry given to girls. Pray for girls at risk of being sold into marriage because of their parents’ fears of rape, premarital pregnancy, hunger, or homelessness.
· Please keep in prayer girls forced into marriage in Niger, Chad, Bangladesh, Guinea, Central African Republic, Mali, Mozambique, Nepal, Malawi, and Ethiopia…the top ten countries with the highest child marriage rates. http://tinyurl.com/nvfv4oo
· Pray for the family and friends of Rawan, an 8-year-old Yemeni girl who died of internal bleeding on her wedding night. Rawan was given in marriage to a 40-year-old man. Pray for justice for this little girl and others like her in Yemen and around the world. Fourteen percent of Yemeni girls are married before age 15 and 52 percent of them before age 18. http://tinyurl.com/psddjca
· Please pray existing laws prohibiting early marriage will be enforced. Pray girls are able to access quality education. Pray safe areas are created for girls and women during humanitarian emergencies. Please pray enlightened community leaders and parents will mobilize to combat gender prejudices.read more
October 16 is World Food Day. In our world today, 925 million people are undernourished (Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, or FAO). This is 13.6% of the world population! Because their bodies are still developing, children are affected most by hunger. Every five seconds, a boy or girl dies from a hunger-related disease. Here are some resources to help your children to learn more about this issue, God’s view on hunger, and how God would have us respond.
1. The National Association of Evangelicals has created a free World Food Day Discussion Guide for families and small groups.
2. WMU created Teaching Preschoolers About Hunger, a 4-lesson study for churches or families to use with young children. Ages:Preschool. Format:Download. Price: $9.99.
3. Weave has a simple simulation called Who’s Got the Cookies? you can do with families in your church, homeschool group, or school. It demonstrates that hunger is not as much about food scarcity in the world as it is about an imbalance in food distribution. This simulation includes a Bible activity that explores what God says about our responsibility to those who are hungry and a prayer time. Ages:Grade 3 and up. Format:Download. Price:$5.
Here are some ideas of how to get children and families involved:
- Collect canned foods and dry goods to help stock a local food pantry in your area.
- Deliver Meals on Wheels to senior adults with volunteers.
- Research to find families or groups in your community who go hungry. Talk with a homeless shelter or government-assisted housing complex to discover where best to help out. Ask for permission to bring a meal to these people one night.
- Play Free Rice, an online game. Pick a subject like math, science, English, or geography. Take an online quiz. For every correct answer, the organization donates ten grains of rice through the United Nations World Food Program to help stop world hunger.
- Before you eat your family meal, pray for families around the world who will go hungry today.
Prayer Concerns for the Week of September 30, 2013
Please keep in prayer the children and people of Kenya affected by Somalia’s al-Qaeda-linked al Shabaab raid on an upscale shopping mall in Nairobi.
- Pray for the survivors and especially the approximately 175 injured in this well-organized attack on a target popular with Westerners and wealthy Kenyans. Pray for children who witnessed the murders of those around them. Pray God will bring each one comfort and healing as they recover from this horrific experience.
- Pray for the families of people who are still missing.
- Pray for the loved ones and friends of the 62 children, women, and men killed in the mall by attackers armed with grenades, machine guns, and assault rifles.
- Please pray God will be at work in the hearts of those who plot revenge and murder innocent children.
Please keep close in prayer the more than one million children and people of Mexico who have been affected by flash flooding and landslides in some of the worst storms this country has experienced in decades. Two tropical storms converged on Mexico at the same time from the Gulf of Mexico and the Pacific.
- Pray for the loved ones of the estimated 130 people killed in the storms. Pray for those in communities completely destroyed or cut off by mudslides. http://tinyurl.com/leq3oww
- Pray for the 59,000 people evacuated from their homes because of flooding and mudslides that affected all but five of Mexico’s 31 states. Keep in prayer the thousands of tourists stranded in Acapulco as they cope with dwindling supplies and struggle to get home.
- Please pray for families whose homes were buried in mudslides. Pray for those who lost farmland and livelihoods to the flooding and mudslides. The agriculture ministry estimates that 3 percent of Mexico’s planted farmland has been destroyed. http://tinyurl.com/mfaey4m http://tinyurl.com/kburo35vy http://tinyurl.com/m6xkprk
Please lift in prayer the children and people of north-central Colorado who’ve been affected by severe flooding that has destroyed or damaged 19,000 homes. http://tinyurl.com/l7ynv4y
- Pray for those stranded in remote communities cut off by flooding. Give thanks to God that more and more people are being accounted for as emergency crews reach remote communities.
- Please keep in prayer the families and friends of those killed in the flooding.
Keep 5-month-old Haydn* in prayer as he struggles with many health issues and continues to lose weight.
- Pray doctors will determine the best procedure to correct the narrowing of Haydn’s esophagus. He has great difficulty swallowing, but the procedure to widen the esophagus is risky and could cause tearing. Please pray God will guide Haydn’s doctors in finding the best possible treatment to help him.
- Pray all of Haydn’s physicians, nurses, and healthcare professionals will work together to address this little ones’ complex medical issues. Pray they will be filled with compassion for Haydn and his mother. She is extremely frustrated by these medical professionals’ seeming lack of concern.
- Please keep Haydn’s mother in prayer as she navigates his medical care and everyday needs. Pray God will sustain her throughout this difficult and challenging season. Pray for a community of support for this young mother and pray especially that God will provide someone who can advocate for her with Haydn’s physicians and hospital staff.
Prayer Concerns for the week of September 23, 2013
· Please continue in prayer for the children and people of Syria as they deal with the effects of civil war. Pray for a peaceful resolution to this devastating conflict.
· Pray for the citizens of Maaloula, a very remote Syrian city in the mountains above Damascus, as they flee from attacks by Syrian rebels and counter attacks by the Syrian army. The city of Maaloula contains the oldest Christian community in the world and it is also the last place in the world in which the Aramaic language Jesus spoke is the native tongue. http://tinyurl.com/o5sy8tp’
· Please pray for the safety of the 27 nuns and the 24 orphaned children in their care in Maaloula’s Mar Takla convent, which was built into mountains where persecuted early Christians sought refuge. Syrian rebels, some affiliated with al-Qaeda, have attacked Maaloula twice in one week. Give thanks to God the rebels have not harmed the nuns or children as they take refuge in an ancient cavern in the convent and continue to pray.
· Please keep in prayer all of the young victims of an alleged sexual predator as they go through the traumatic process of testifying against this man who is also a law enforcement officer. Pray God will bring emotional, spiritual, and physical healing to these children and protect them from further harm. Pray for justice for these little ones. Pray for the alleged predator who volunteered at a church camp at which he allegedly sexually abused four boys. Please pray for those investigating these crimes…that they will act with wisdom and God’s guidance. Pray for all children who have been abused by those in positions of authority. http://tinyurl.com/mmbzat8
· Please pray for the families and friends of the 12 men and women killed by an armed gunman at the Washington Navy Yard on September 16, 2013. Pray for the spouses, children, and grandchildren of these 12 as they grieve the loss of their loved ones. Pray for victims injured when a gunman targeted them from the fourth floor walkway overlooking the building’s atrium. Give thanks to God for the quick response of active-shooter law enforcement teams who were able to stop the alleged gunman. Pray for this man’s family who were estranged from him at the time of the shootings. http://tinyurl.com/kazfxl4 http://tinyurl.com/llukov5
· Keep close in prayer 16-year-old K.C. who is feeling threatened by a male classmate at her high school. Pray for K.C.’s safety and emotional health as she and her family explore their options in stopping this stalker.read more
Just discovered these three mission tools from LifeWay. These would be great to use with children during a mission event or lesson about God’s loving children from all cultures.
1. Bookmarks– Tell Everyone About Jesus bookmarks are 2 x 6.5 inches and come in a set of 25. $1.99
2. Stickers– Each sheet features illustrations of 8 children from around the world in their national costumes. Each sticker is 4.5 x 7.5 inches. Package of 10 sheets; 80 stickers. $2.99
3. Stickers– Each sheet features 6 beautiful photos of children from around the world. Each sticker is 4.5 x 7.5 inches. Package of 10 sheets; 60 stickers. $2.99
Prayer Concerns for the week of September 16, 2013
· Please keep close in prayer Christian children and families in Egypt who have been the target of Islamist vigilantes. Pray for those whose places of worship have been attacked, vandalized, or burned down. More than 60 churches, most in Egypt’s Nile Valley, have been attacked in response to a violent raid last month on two Islamist protest camps in Cairo by Egyptian security forces. http://tinyurl.com/kpnvdyn
· Please pray the government will investigate the incidents and provide protection to frightened Christians in this region. Police had yet to investigate any of the incidents several weeks after they occurred.
· Pray for peace between Christian and Islamist groups throughout Egypt. Pray for an end to sectarian violence in this country.
· Please pray for boys and girls living in South Asia who are at great risk of being trafficked, especially after natural disasters or violent conflicts. South Asia is the fastest growing and second largest region for human trafficking in the world. Pray for girls trafficked in India, Nepal, and Bangladesh where they are sold into forced marriage, bonded work in prostitution or domestic service, or paid for their organs.
· Pray all children displaced by conflict or disasters will be protected from exploitation and will find safe, child-friendly places in which to seek shelter. http://tinyurl.com/mbrnn8u
- Keep in prayer the 100,000 children and people of Sudan who were displaced by flash floods and heavy rain early last month. Pray for those who are still without proper shelter, medical care, clean water, or sanitation services. An estimated 14,000 houses were damaged or destroyed by flooding. http://tinyurl.com/m7nb59r
· Pray for 14-month-old Reed who is recovering from a MRSA infection on his skin. (MRSA is a type of staph bacteria that is resistant to certain antibiotics.) http://tinyurl.com/2u33u6s Give thanks to God that Reed was able to leave the hospital recently and continue recovery at home. Pray the infection will heal completely and that his pain will diminish soon. The infected area on his back and shoulders has the appearance of a severe burn.
· Please continue to lift in prayer 5-month-old Haydn* who will have surgery to replace the G-tube in his stomach with a GJ feeding tube that goes directly into his small intestines. Pray this surgical procedure is successful and will help Haydn gain weight and strength. Pray God will bring healing to this little one who’s already been through one open heart surgery and continues to experience great pain from his gastrointestinal issues.
o Continue to keep Haydn’s mother close in prayer. Pray she will be able to manage all of Haydn’s medical needs as she cares for him. And pray God will sustain her throughout this challenging time. Pray also that God will bring her peace as she continues to grieve the death of her 1 ½-year-old daughter.
*Name changed for confidentiality and/or protection.read more
Prayer Concerns for the week of September 9, 2013
· Continue to pray for peace between two ethnic groups in Burma’s northwestern Rakhine (formerly Arakan) State. Animosity between the predominately Buddhist Rakhine and the predominately Muslim Rohingya goes back many years to when the Rohingya first came to Burma from Bangladesh. Last year’s violence between these two ethnic groups left 140,000 homeless, mostly Rohingya, and at least 192 dead. Pray for reconciliation and understanding between these two ethnic people groups.
· Please continue in prayer for the estimated 800,000 Rohingya children and families that live in abject poverty near Burma’s western border with Bangladesh. Pray for the estimated 300,000 Rohingya refugees who are believed to live in Bangladesh. The Rohingya are denied citizenship in both Burma and Bangladesh.
· Pray for children affected by recent violence between police and Rohingya Muslims. Oppressive, apartheid-like policies, instituted after last year’s violence, have segregated the Buddhist Rakhine from the Muslim Rohingya.
· Pray for Rohingya children and families who have been forced into primitive camps for internally displaced people (IDPs) and have little hope of being resettled elsewhere. Pray for IDP children and families who lack access to medical facilities, latrines, shelters, blankets, and regular food distribution. http://tinyurl.com/mbrhwvs
· Pray the government of Burma will have a change of heart towards the Rohingya who are restricted from moving freely, finding jobs, accessing basic services like healthcare and food aid, or having more than two children.
Syria, Iraq, Jordan, Lebanon, Turkey
· Continue to keep the children and people of Syria close in prayer during this very difficult, violent period in their country. Pray for the families of those killed in this sectarian civil war. An estimated 100,000 people have been killed in the conflict; 7,000 were children. http://tinyurl.com/mz923w2
· Pray for the estimated 4.25 million people, almost half of whom are children, who are displaced within Syria because of this conflict.
· Pray for the more than 2 million Syrians, 1 million of whom are children, who have sought refuge in neighboring Iraq, Jordan, Lebanon, and Turkey. Please pray for the 3,500 unaccompanied children who have fled Syria and crossed into neighboring countries. Pray God will protect vulnerable refugee children from being sexually exploited or trafficked; from being sold into labor, early marriage, or prostitution. http://tinyurl.com/kejoob8
· Pray for children who have been traumatized by the violence in Syria. Pray for those who have witnessed gruesome, violent acts against loved ones, family, and/or friends. Pray for those experiencing depression or hopelessness about the losses they’ve witnessed.
· Please pray for children and families affected by chemical weapons attacks, allegedly done by the Syrian government to stop rebel advancements in Damascus. More than 1,400 people, including 426 children, have died in what U.S. intelligence analysts believe were chemical weapons attacks. http://tinyurl.com/lgdoafl
· Pray for an end to this horrific violence. Pray Syria’s government and rebel leaders will work towards a peaceful solution to this civil conflict. Pray international governments will seek God’s guidance concerning their intervention in this crisis. Pray they will work together to help Syria achieve peace.
· Please pray God will bring healing to 1-year-old Jace who has been very sick with an undiagnosed illness. Pray doctors will be able to discover what is making him so ill and provide a plan of treatment. Pray for Jace’s family as they care for this little boy.read more
Prayer Concerns for the week of September 2, 2013
· Please pray for the tens of thousands of Chinese children who are abducted by traffickers each year. Anywhere from 20,000 to 70,000 children (depending on the source cited) are kidnapped each year.
· Pray for boy children who are sold to unsuspecting adoptive parents, many of whom may not be able to conceive, or they have daughters but no sons. There is a traditional preference for boys in China making an infant boy worth thousands of dollars on the black market. http://tinyurl.com/ly5ff69
· Please pray for older children who are kidnapped and used for street begging, pickpocketing, slave labor, or prostitution.
· Keep in prayer the parents of abducted children as they struggle to find their sons and daughters and deal with police apathy, corruption, or other complications. Pray for parents who have lost hope of ever finding their children. Pray for those who have drained their financial resources looking for their children.
· Pray law enforcement officers at the local level will act with integrity and resist bribes from traffickers. Pray they will work together with other law enforcement agencies to find kidnapped children. Traffickers often move abducted children across vast distances and jurisdictions to avoid detection.
· Please keep in prayer the 30,000 Kurdish refugees from Syria who have recently crossed into Iraq’s Kurdish region. Pray for children and families fleeing attacks by a radical Sunni Arab rebel group that has aligned with Iraq’s branch of al Qaeda. Pray God will be with these desperate families as they seek refuge in Iraq. Pray God will provide the resources they need during this difficult season. http://tinyurl.com/mxv6gvu
· Pray for peace in this region. Pray Syria’s civil war, which has spilled over into neighboring countries, will end.
· Please keep in prayer children and people in the Philippines who have been affected by Typhoon Utor, the most powerful typhoon to hit the country this year. Pray for those who have lost loved ones and for those whose loved ones are missing. http://tinyurl.com/mreqj3p http://tinyurl.com/llxx6ow
· Pray for children and families in Aurora province where the typhoon caused the greatest damage. Pray for those who were affected by the typhoon-triggered flooding and landslides. Pray for families who lost homes and livelihoods. Almost 90 percent of the agriculture in this province was destroyed or damaged, especially rice and corn crops and coconut plantations.
· Pray for the family of an 8-month-old boy who died after being left in a hot car for about six hours. Pray for this child’s mother who forgot she’d left the baby in the car when she went to work. The mother has been charged with felony child neglect and is in jail without bond. http://tinyurl.com/k76pol9
· Pray for the family of Sabriya Towels, a 16-month-old girl who died after being left in a hot vehicle. Pray for the relative who left Sabriya in his truck when he went home to take a nap. http://tinyurl.com/kktm79t
· Pray for all parents and guardians of young children…that they will be even more vigilant during the hot seasons of the year. Pray for the families of the 29 children who have died in hot vehicles this year. KidsAndCars.org shares resources to help keep young children safe, including a safety checklist for parents and caregivers, and says even the best parent or caregiver can overlook a baby in a car seat due to lack of sleep, stress, or changes in their normal routine. http://tinyurl.com/myogpuz http://tinyurl.com/6l8qnf9
On the outskirts of Kathmandu, Nepal, lies one of the most sacred places in the whole Tibetan Buddhist world– Boudhanath, an important place of worship. The surrounding area is home to thousands of Tibetans, exiles from China as well as tribal people from the Himalayan areas. Colorful prayer flags are a reminder that in this place Buddhist prayer is unceasing. Hundreds of pilgrims and local Tibetans spin prayer wheels as they silently chant their mantras. Others light small butter lamps as they offer prayers.
To Buddhists, light is a symbol of darkness being dispelled. Who will share Jesus, the light of the world, with them? Who will introduce them to the one true God who longs to have a relationship with them? Since Boudha is an important Tibetan crossroads, a movement of God in this place would affect the whole of the Tibetan Buddhist world. You can join in 100 Days of Prayer for the Tibetan Buddhist world this fall, September 1-December 9.
- Email Boudha100@gmail.com and ask to receive daily prayer requests in your email inbox.
- Go to “Boudha Prayer” on Facebook where prayer requests will be posted daily.
- Sign up in the 24-7 Prayer Movement prayer room.
Want a kid-friendly resource to help you go deeper? Khamba Kids will help you teach your children about God’s heart for Buddhist families and give them ways to intercede. In CD/DVD format, this curriculum includes a video, history, language, crafts, games, a Bible lesson, and prayer activities. For ages 5-11.
Prayer Concerns for the week of August 26, 2013
· Please continue to keep Nancy* and the children for whom she cares at Hallelujah Orphanage in Burma held close in prayer. Pray God will provide the resources Nancy and her family need to care for all 11 children (ranging in age from 9 to 18) in their home. Give thanks to God the children, Nancy, and her family have stayed well during this rainy season when dengue fever is rampant. http://tinyurl.com/yayyqom Pray they will continue to be healthy.
· Pray for Nancy, her family, and the children as they work to harvest their corn crop during this very rainy period. Pray for a bountiful harvest of corn and pineapples that will help support the work at Hallelujah Orphanage. Pray God will provide for the needs of this small ministry to children who are orphaned, abandoned, or neglected. And pray God will continue to encourage Nancy as she fulfills the vision and plan to which God has called her.
Nepal (Next Generation Nepal – www.nextgenerationnepal.org)
· Give thanks to God for the rescue of eight children, aged 5 to 9 years, from a children’s home where they were abused and neglected. Thanks be to God for the persistence of the Next Generation Nepal (NGN) staff in negotiating and campaigning to rescue these children from such horrible circumstances.
· Give God praise the children will receive care, love, and education at the NGN-funded transitional home while the organization searches for their families. Pray the children will come to trust the NGN staff and allow healing and recovery to begin. http://tinyurl.com/mvzq4kf
· Pray the staff and volunteers with NGN will be able to locate the families of these children and begin the long process of reconnection and reunification.
· Pray for the estimated 11,000 children of Nepal who live in children’s homes or orphanages. Two out of three of these children have at least one living parent; often these parents believe their children have been lost to them.
· Thanks be to God for the work of NGN and The Himalayan Innovative Society (THIS) in rescuing the trafficked children of Nepal and reuniting them with their families.
· Please keep 5-year-old Hayden in prayer as he recovers from brain surgery. Pray for God’s healing touch to be upon Hayden and lessen the pain of recovery. Pray for his parents and family as they help care for Hayden during this season of healing. Pray for the nursing staff and all those with whom Hayden comes into contact while he is in the hospital. Pray he will be surrounded by compassionate caregivers during his recovery.
· Pray for a 9-year-old Minnesota girl who was accidentally shot in the chest by her 5-year-old brother. Give thanks to God she wasn’t critically injured and is expected to recover from this injury. Pray for her little brother and her three other siblings. Pray for their parents who are being investigated for possible negligence as the .22-caliber rifle with which the little girl was shot had been left out for repairs. Pray all children are provided a safe environment in which to grow and thrive. Pray the adults and caregivers in their lives will act responsibly to protect their children. http://tinyurl.com/kex9q4v
· Please continue to pray for 4-month-old boy who is recovering from heart surgery. Pray for comfort and healing as he is experiencing more health complications and will need to see a kidney specialist, as well. Pray for his mother who is physically and emotionally exhausted from caring for Haydn. Pray God will surround them with a compassionate and caring support community. Pray for peace and rest for both Haydn and his mother.read more
Prayer Concerns for the week of August 19, 2013
· Keep in prayer the 330,000 children and people of Namibia as they deal with the effects of their country’s worst drought in 30 years. Pray for those in neighboring Angola, between 640,000 and one million people, who are also suffering because of extreme drought. http://tinyurl.com/lmac5p9
· Pray for those whose crops have failed (Namibia has only one harvest a year and the next won’t be until March 2014) and for those whose livestock have died. Pray for children who have nothing to eat and risk malnutrition, disease, and death without emergency intervention.
· Pray humanitarian assistance will reach every at-risk child before the crisis worsens. Please pray for healing rains to come to parched lands in these countries.
· Please pray for young Ramna who was beaten by her abusive husband and suffered mental stress and trauma. Give God thanks Ramna, whose parents are deceased, was able to leave this man and find shelter at Sangla Hill, the Presbyterian Education Board’s home for young girls and women. Pray for Ramna’s healing and health as she recuperates from the trauma of abuse. Pray she will be able to learn how to make a living and care for herself while she is at Sangla Hill.
· Thanks be to God for the staff and volunteers at Sangla Hill and the compassion and help they offer young women like Ramna.
· Give praise to God for the rescue of 105 trafficked, sexually exploited children through Operation Cross Country, a joint operation between the FBI, local law enforcement agencies, and the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children. Thanks be to God so many underage sex trafficking victims were rescued in this three-day nationwide sweep that took place across 76 cities. http://tinyurl.com/p8n3u69 http://tinyurl.com/kqgrqmv
· Pray for these 105 victims of sexual abuse and exploitation as they begin the long, difficult process of healing and restoration. Pray they will find a safe environment in which they can receive professional counseling and assistance throughout the recovery process. Pray God’s healing peace will comfort these hurting children.
· Give God thanks that 150 pimps and others who profited from the commercial sexual exploitation of these trafficking victims were arrested in Operation Cross Country. Pray for justice for every child victimized by these pimps and traffickers. Pray these men and women will be held accountable for exploiting and abusing children in such horrific ways. Pray God might bring healing to these broken people.
· Please keep in prayer the FBI agents, law enforcement officers, and the personnel of organizations that work to end the commercial sexual exploitation and trafficking of children. Pray for those who must witness the abuse of victims as they build cases against pimps and traffickers. Pray God will guard their hearts and minds as they continue this dangerous, difficult work to free exploited children.read more
Prayer Concerns for the week of August 12, 2013
· Please keep the displaced children and people of Burma and the Philippines close in prayer as they deal with severe flooding from days of heavy monsoonal rain. Pray for the more than 23,000 people in southeastern Burma who have been displaced by flash floods. Pray for the estimated 100,000 people in the southern Philippines island of Mindanao who have fled their homes because of heavy rains and flooding. http://tinyurl.com/mhyw26o
· Keep in prayer rice farmers and their families whose livelihoods are threatened by this monsoonal flooding. Pray for those whose rice paddies have been flooded—paddies can be ruined after a week under water. Pray farmers and their families will be able to prepare the soil again in time to plant this season’s rice crop. Pray for those who have lost their homes, household possessions, and livestock in the flooding.
· Pray for the children and people of Nigeria who have fled fighting between government forces and Islamist militants in the north of their country. An estimated 4,000 refugees recently escaped this conflict and entered Cameroon, making the total refugee population there around 10,000. Pray for the 6,000 refugees who fled the fighting and entered neighboring Niger. http://tinyurl.com/lsluopr
· Please pray for a peaceful resolution to the conflict between Nigerian forces and Boko Haram. Last May, the Nigerian government declared a state of emergency in this remote, semi-desert region where Boko Haram militants are suspected of hiding. Pray for the thousands of farmers and their families who were forced off their land because of this emergency declaration. Please pray this doesn’t trigger a food crisis in the region.
China (New Day Foster Home – http://www.newdaycreations.
- Give God thanks and praise that 6-month-old Benjamin was recently released from the hospital to continue recovery at home. Benjamin was born with severe gastrointestinal (GI) defects that caused him to be sick every time he was fed. He has been in and out of the hospital since birth. Pray this little one gains weight and strength. Pray he won’t have reflux or pneumonia or start aspirating again. http://tinyurl.com/m85mz9k
- Please keep in prayer children who survived deadly flooding in India’s Himalayan region last month and are now at great risk of being trafficked. Tens of thousands of people have lost homes and livelihoods in these floods and landslides, plunging more families further into poverty and despair. Pray for desperate parents who are coerced into selling their daughters and sons to traffickers. Pray for daughters who have been sold as brides or trafficked into domestic work or commercial sex work. Pray for sons who have been trafficked into servitude or commercial sex work. http://tinyurl.com/mbrnn8u
· Pray for the children and people of Mae Sot, Thailand who are dealing with some of the worst flooding seen in a decade. Pray for those whose homes, businesses, schools, or farms have been destroyed by flooding or landslides. Please keep in prayer those who are stranded by floodwaters. A frantic mother struggled to reach her children in their hut in an isolated rice field. She had gone to work before the area had flooded. Give thanks to God the mother, with the help of migrant workers, reached her children and evacuated them to higher ground.
· Thanks be to God for the work of Partners Relief and Development staff and volunteers as they assist flooding victims in Mae Sot. Half of the Partners staff have been driving around Mae Sot in their tallest trucks trying to help those most in need. Pray for the flood victims who have been sheltered in the Partners’ Mae Sot office. Give God thanks for the hospitality and generosity of the staff and volunteers who have been cooking for and assisting these victims, including holding impromptu children’s programs. http://tinyurl.com/p5s3h7j
· Please continue to lift in prayer 4-month-old Haydn* who is recovering from heart surgery. Give thanks to God that Haydn was recently released from the hospital to continue recovery at home. Pray Haydn will gain weight and stay healthy so he may have a more functional g-tube (gastrostomy tube) implanted in his stomach. The current tube causes him great discomfort and irritation. http://tinyurl.com/q67twxc
Prayer Concerns for the week of August 5, 2013
· Please pray God will bring healing and peace to Sahar Gul who was sold into marriage when she was 12 years old then allegedly tortured by her in-laws to the point where she couldn’t walk. Sahar was starved, chained up in a basement bathroom, beaten, burned with hot metal pipes, and had her fingernails pulled out.
· Pray for Sahar’s safety now that her mother-in-law, father-in-law, and sister-in-law have been released by Afghan judges saying there wasn’t any proof of abuse. Pray for justice for this young woman who wasn’t notified of the hearing to set aside the conviction against these three relatives or of their release. http://tinyurl.com/mpqdfjo
· Pray for the girls and women of Afghanistan who are forced or sold into marriage, married off when they are still underage, and/or abused by relatives or in-laws.
· Please pray the proposed changes to Afghanistan’s criminal prosecution code—one that would prevent family members from testifying against each other—will not succeed in parliament. If it passes, abused girls and women will have no legal protection against violence since relatives are most often the abusers.
· Pray for the protection and safety of Afghanistan’s women and girls. Pray those who make and uphold the laws of this country will work to protect the girls and women of Afghanistan instead of further harming them.
· Give thanks to God for the recent release of 42 children and young adults who had been recruited into the Burma Army as child soldiers. Pray the government of Burma will continue to honor a United Nations agreement they signed in June to end the practice of recruiting and using child soldiers. http://tinyurl.com/m6tfmjv
· Pray all children will be released from the Burma Army as well as from seven ethnic armed groups in the north and east of the country. Human rights groups estimate there are approximately 5,000 children who have been recruited into the Burma Army. No numbers are available on those recruited into rebel groups.
· Pray for all children who are taken away from their families, friends, schools, and communities and forced to fight in armies or militias.
· Please keep in prayer the children of Colombia’s rural communities who are at great risk of being injured or killed by landmines. Colombia has one of the highest landmine casualty rates in the world because of the 50-year conflict between the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC) rebel group and the government.
· Pray for children who have been wounded by landmines or unexploded ordnance. Of the 10,413 Colombians injured or killed by landmines since 1990, 1,019 were children. http://tinyurl.com/ns2xuja
· Pray for ceasefire agreements between the Colombian government and FARC. Pray the two sides will achieve a lasting peace and work to remove landmines near schools and communal areas. Because of the vast number of landmines planted by FARC, it may take more than a decade to clear all of the improvised explosive devices (IEDs) and landmines in Colombia’s rural areas.
· Please keep close in prayer the children and people of Egypt during a season of political unrest and violence following the July 3, 2013 overthrow of President Mohamed Mursi and the Muslim Brotherhood’s Freedom and Justice Party. http://tinyurl.com/lellshe http://tinyurl.com/nmylte2 http://tinyurl.com/mep6jqo
· Pray for those who have lost loved ones in the violence between pro-Mursi supporters and the Egyptian military. An estimated 300 people have been killed and hundreds wounded during the weeks following Mursi’s overthrow.
· Please pray for a peaceful resolution to this political struggle as mass rallies of hundreds of thousands of people, both for and against Mursi, continue in Cairo.read more
Prayer Concerns for the week of July 29, 2013
Central African Republic
· Please keep close in prayer the children of Central African Republic (CAR) who are severely malnourished and desperately in need of humanitarian aid. The child malnutrition and mortality rates in CAR are the highest they’ve been and are three times the level the World Health Organization deems acute. http://tinyurl.com/m7wathr
· Pray for the 200,000 children and people who have been displaced by violence in CAR following a coup in March and increased attacks by rebels and criminal gangs. Pray God will provide for those who have fled into the bush and have no food, shelter, or medical care. What limited services there were available before the coup were stopped by the rebels. Pray for children in the bush who are dying from malaria and diarrhea.
· Pray for stability and peace in CAR. Pray humanitarian groups may reach children and families in desperate need of aid. Rebels and criminals have looted aid warehouses and clinics, causing aid workers to flee the country.
China (New Day Foster Home – http://www.newdaycreations.
· Please continue in prayer for 8-month-old Mark who has biliary atresia and is hospitalized in serious condition awaiting a liver transplant. Doctors are concerned Mark will go into liver failure before a liver becomes available.
· Pray God will bring healing and comfort to Mark. This little one was abandoned when he was 4 months old and taken to a local orphanage. Because of the severity of the gastrointestinal defects with which Mark was born, he was transferred to New Day Foster Home last month. http://tinyurl.com/kw5gwmh http://tinyurl.com/kjw6udo http://tinyurl.com/kc3zfeu
Colombia, Democratic Republic of Congo, Iraq, Syria, and South Sudan
· Pray for children who are displaced within their own countries. An estimated 28.8 million people were displaced from their homes in 2012 and that number continues to grow. Pray for internally displaced people (IDPs) who face the same challenges as refugees in addition to even more obstacles. IDPs aren’t always as visible as refugees, they often depend on a government that is intent on displacing them, and aid groups often have a difficult time getting to them because of governmental hurdles. http://tinyurl.com/ocxeeam
· Please keep in prayer the children of Colombia who have been forced from their homes by gangs and armed paramilitary groups. Columbia has the largest number of IDPs and many have been displaced for decades.
· Pray for displaced children and people in the Democratic Republic of Congo, Iraq, Syria, and South Sudan.
· Please pray God will provide for all children and people who are displaced in their own countries. Pray for the resources needed to help IDPs, that humanitarian organizations will have greater access to those in need, and for increased security for those groups working with IDPs.
- Pray for God’s protection and healing to be upon 4-year-old Danny who had his fingers deliberately cut off by family members as a form of punishment. Pray for this precious child… that he might know he is a beloved child of God and that he will grow strong in this knowledge.
· Pray for 12-year-old Penny* who is now on her own after her mother’s recent arrest for illegal drug use. Penny’s father works on an island in southern Thailand and her grandmother lives in a tribal village in the mountains. Give God thanks Penny has been involved in the Garden of Hope’s children’s outreach program for the last four years and has been able to stay there temporarily until a more suitable arrangement can be made.
· Pray for the safest and best possible placement for Penny during the month and a half her mother is in rehab. Pray she will still be able to go to school and participate in the afterschool program at the Garden of Hope where she receives much support. Pray God will bring healing and wholeness to Penny’s mother…that God will remove this addiction from her. http://www.thegardenofhope.
Prayer Concerns for the week of July 22, 2013
China (New Day Foster Home – http://www.newdaycreations.com/foster/)
- Please lift in prayer three babies associated with New Day Foster Home who are in need of God’s healing touch.
- Pray for 8-month-old Mark who has biliary atresia and is hospitalized in serious condition awaiting a liver transplant. Pray God will bring healing and comfort to Mark. This little one was abandoned when he was 4 months old and taken to a local orphanage. Because of the severity of the gastrointestinal defects with which Mark was born, he was transferred to New Day Foster Home last month. Pray he will be healed completely. http://tinyurl.com/kw5gwmh http://tinyurl.com/kjw6udo
- Pray for healing for 6-month-old Benjamin who was also born with severe gastrointestinal (GI) defects and has been in and out of the hospital’s pediatric intensive care unit. Benjamin was born prematurely and abandoned shortly after birth. A severe upper GI defect caused him to throw up every time he was fed. Pray this little one gains weight and strength and that he will be able to keep his food down. Give God thanks Benjamin is doing better and may be released from ICU soon. http://tinyurl.com/kl5wvx3
- Please pray for baby Adia who was taken to Beijing by her orphanage so she could have tests to determine if surgeons would be able to perform her heart surgery. Give thanks to God that Adia survived the trip and for the wonderful news that she most likely will not need the surgery. http://tinyurl.com/k4vjhg5http://tinyurl.com/m8x3ryj
- Pray for the children of Sudan’s Darfur region who have been displaced by an increase in fighting this year between the army, rebels, and rival tribes. Please keep in prayer the estimated 300,000 children, youth, and adults who have fled their homes due to this surge in fighting. Pray God will provide them with food, clean water, and medical care as most now live in terrible conditions in IDP (internally displaced people) camps.
- Please pray for peace in the western region of Darfur, a region that’s been embroiled in conflict since 2003 when non-Arab tribes revolted against the Sudanese government which then armed Arab tribes to fight them. http://tinyurl.com/nc5anup http://tinyurl.com/pp8wz4g
- Please continue in prayer for 3-month-old Haydn* who has been hospitalized almost since birth. Pray Haydn will gain weight and strength as he recovers from a recent heart surgery. Pray he can process the infant formula he’s receiving through a g-tube (gastrostomy tube) in his stomach. The tube has been causing irritation and bleeding into Haydn’s stomach. Pray the new medications will help Haydn feel more comfortable and lessen the irritation of the g-tube. http://tinyurl.com/q67twxc *Name changed for confidentiality and/or protection.
- Give God thanks Haydn was recently able to go home from the hospital! Pray for his continued healing.
- Continue to keep Haydn’s mother close in prayer. Pray she will be able to manage all of Haydn’s medical needs now they are home. And pray God will sustain her throughout this challenging time. Pray also that God will bring her peace as she continues to grieve the death of her 1 ½-year-old daughter.
Prayer Concerns for the week of July 15, 2013
· Pray for the at-risk children in India with whom Sahaara Charitable Society works. Give God thanks for the staff and volunteers of this organization that ministers to the daughters of prostituted women, orphaned boys, children in prisons and observation homes, children living in slum communities, and street children.
o Please pray God will provide the resources and staff needed to continue these projects. Pray Sahaara Charitable Society will find favor with government authorities so the ministry might continue to offer computer classes and coaching in the children’s observation homes next year.
o Pray for the staff and volunteers with this ministry…that they would carry the heart of Christ to those with whom they interact. http://www.sahaarasociety.org/
· Please keep in prayer the 150,000 people (almost half of them children) who have been displaced by massive flooding in northern India’s mountainous region of Uttarakhand. Early and heavy monsoon rains triggered massive flooding and huge landslides in this region. http://tinyurl.com/oy37w6n
o Pray for the safety and health of the survivors as it has been difficult to get humanitarian aid to them because of washed out roads and bridges. Pray for survivors who have lost their homes, farms, and/or livestock to flood waters. Many were very poor subsistence farmers or raised livestock.
o Pray for the families of the estimated 680 people killed in the flooding.
· Please keep in prayer the more than 6,000 Nigerian refugees, mostly children, women, and the elderly, who have fled to Niger to escape fighting between Nigerian military forces and Islamist militants.
· Pray for refugees in Niger who do not have access to food, clean water, medical care, or safe housing. Inadequate local water and food resources in Niger are strained by this influx of thousands of refugees.
· Pray for the people of Niger who struggle with food insecurity because of years of drought.
· Pray for a peaceful solution to this conflict between Nigerian forces and Boko Haram (Islamist militants). Pray for peace and stability in Nigeria. http://tinyurl.com/ln5um8j
- Please keep Zinhle in prayer as she is hospitalized in intensive care for a blood infection that seems to be spreading. Pray God will bring healing to Zinhle and comfort her during this difficult time. Pray for her father Moses and the rest of her family as they care for Zinhle.
· Please continue in prayer for the children and people of Syria during this time of violence and civil war. Pray for peace in this region. Pray for healing and reconciliation between sects.
· Pray for Syrian children, youth, and adults who have come under the control of armed extremists who violently enforce strict sharia law. http://tinyurl.com/l6oocpg
· Pray for children and families who have fled the fighting in Syria and sought refuge in Jordan, Lebanon, Turkey, Iraq, and Egypt. By the end of the year, it is estimated that there will be about 3.5 million refugees across the region. http://tinyurl.com/mglwbtt http://tinyurl.com/lvu8xsa
- December 2013
- November 2013
- October 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- October 2011
- September 2011
- July 2011
- June 2011
- May 2011
- April 2011
- March 2011
- February 2011
- January 2011
- December 2010
- November 2010
- October 2010
- August 2010
- July 2010
- June 2010
- October 2009